Active Wellness is the leading Fitness Services Management Company passionate about building active communities through fitness and wellness. With 50 sites across the country, our mission is to build and inspire healthier, more active lives through high-touch interactions and technologies that support a better quality of life. We accomplish this by creating inspiring environments, delivering results-based programming, and building meaningful relationships that support positive change in people's lives.
Our team is energetic, active, and fun. We listen to our team, doing what's best for our people while focusing on delivering the best products and programming in the industry. Our employees have continued support, training, and resources to deliver results to our members, and clients.
If you love making a difference in people's lives, we would love to connect. We're dedicated to helping people live the best lives possible, and we're always looking for individuals that are passionate like us to join Team Active.
- Full Medical, Dental, Vision Health Benefits (eligible employees)
- 401k investment options
- Internship Program
- Competitive Base Salary
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Network of 1200+ fitness industry professionals
- Complimentary Employee Well-Being Programs
- Exclusive discounts and memberships on fitness industry associations and training
- Complimentary Club Membership and discounts on all Active products and more!
#1 Health Club, #1 Vendor, Best Innovation, Best Medical Fitness, Top 100 Health Clubs in US, Best and Brightest in Wellness, Distinguished Service Award
JOB TITLE: General Manager (Fitness)
SALARY RANGE: $55,000 - $65,000 (DOE)
Role and Responsibilities
The General Manager is an important leadership position and will be responsible for the oversight of the fitness center. The General Manager is responsible for carrying out Active Wellness's commitment to service its members in the best fitness environment possible with the friendliest staff, most educated trainers, cleanest facility, most ethical business practices and state-of-the-art equipment. This person is responsible for achieving club objectives by developing a quality environment, meeting or exceeding financial projections, overseeing ancillary sales, and meeting or exceeding new membership and retention goals. The General Manager will be responsible for the overall supervision of team members and facility management to provide the best experiences for our members as well as a financially successful club. Serve as a role model and direct and manage the day-to-day operations of a club's fitness programming in a way that realizes the company's mission and core values.
- Staff Management:
- Cultivate and lead a positive, team-centered work environment that delivers on company goals.
- Hire, train, manage and develop a high-quality team of fitness professionals in a way that enables them to reach their full potential.
- Review and evaluate staff performance constructively on a regular basis through informal and formal performance management mechanisms.
- Create communication mechanisms for staff that enables two-way dialogue and provides them with timely and accurate information pertaining to the company and club goals, programs, promotions, and policies.
- Department Operations
- Manage an efficient fitness department whereby day-to-day operations run smoothly, company-wide policies are followed consistently, and problems are resolved in an effective and timely manner.
- Create staff schedules that guarantee there is appropriate coverage by the fitness team.
- Maintain and process all paperwork associated with members, staff, or club operations completely and ensure information is entered into the appropriate systems accurately.
- Administration and processing of all semi-monthly online timesheets and employee payroll.
- Member Relations
- Ensure superior customer service by sustaining a culture, through leadership and example, wholly committed to listening to members and guests, understanding their needs, and exceeding their expectations.
- Create and deepen relationships with members and enhance their sense of belonging and community within the club.
- Work with the sales team to integrate members into the club in a timely manner.
- Develop systems that deal with member issues proactively and in a timely, professional manner.
- Sincerely acknowledge members and guests.
- Be professional in your personal presentation.
- Use a professional and friendly communication style to enhance our member's and guests' experience.
- Be aware of and meet specific member and guest needs.
- Staff Training and Management
- Ensure the fitness team takes an active role in keeping current in their fields and are well trained and knowledgeable about their jobs, the company, and our services, promotions, and business practices so that they can provide members and guests with consistent and accurate information.
- Educate and train the fitness team on the company and department programs.
- Ensure that all members of the fitness team keep current with the appropriate certifications, (i.e. PT, CPR/AED) they need for their job and maintain all paperwork associated with those certifications.
- Train staff and create systems that ensure they are embracing and following our Service Standards.
- Cross-train staff so that they are always ready and available to help members and guests no matter what their job.
- Achieve financial performance results through the generation of ancillary service revenues, expense control, and member retention.
- Ancillary Services
- Oversee ancillary service programs and ensure that the programs are safe, provide quality experiences for members, meet members' expectations and goals, and achieve revenue goals.
- Know your competition and use that information to make suggestions or changes that enable your club to be "best in class".
- Member Retention
- Develop and implement member communications initiatives that increase member retention, satisfaction, and participation in revenue-producing services.
- Continuous Improvement
- Monitor, evaluate, and continuously improve operations, programming, and financial performance by interacting with members and staff, listening to their feedback and ideas, and analyzing key metrics and data.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 5 years of management experience in hospitality/fitness or related industry.
- Experience in a fitness and wellness environment.
- Hire, discipline, manage, evaluate and terminate staff as needed.
- 4-year college degree or equivalent education and experience.
- Proof of citizenship or legal status
- Communication skills, management skills, customer service oriented, results-oriented, basic computer skills, ability to multi-task, and experience in leading a team.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and highly responsive with a commitment to customer service
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Basic computer skills, customer service skills, results-oriented, ability to multitask, and commitment to the fitness industry
- AED/CPR/First Aid Certified
- Proof of citizenship or legal status