GENERAL FUNCTION: Under the direction of the Fitness Director, the Personal Trainer Level I will increase member retention by way of creating a welcoming environment for all YMCA members in the wellness center through member engagement, guidance and support. The Personal Trainer Level I will aid members in lifestyle coaching and fitness-related change through goal setting, Mobile Fit setup, and equipment orientation to be carried out through the “My FIT” member engagement program.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum age of 21
- Bachelor’s degree, or currently pursuing degree, in exercise science or related field
- Minimum of two years customer service experience
- Must be able to use cardiovascular and weight machines and routinely perform the following physical activities; climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for extended periods of time, walk, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, hear and have visual acuity to perform detailed tasks
- Must have ability to communicate effectively; both orally and in writing
- Must possess problem solving, organizational and task management skills and have ability to make independent and sound decisions in a rapidly changing environment
- Must be detail oriented and exhibit a high degree of accuracy and alertness
- Must demonstrate initiative in absence of supervision
- Must be able to build meaningful relationships and relate to and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner
- Must work collaboratively as a team member as well as independently and lead by assigned goals, duties and deadlines
- Must possess ability to exercise high levels of discretion and confidentiality
- Must present a neat and professional appearance at all times
- Commitment to the YMCA mission, vision and values
- Must attend New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire
- Complete CPR/AED, First Aid, O2, Listen First Workshop, Fitness Modules, 4 Week Personal Training , YUSA Online Trainings, Foundations of Strength & Conditioning (of acceptable certification) or ASCM in accordance with Conditions of Employment
- Possess a clear and complete understanding of exercise science principles, and the ability to apply those principles in a practical wellness atmosphere
- Must learn all emergency procedures and action plans for the branch
- Understand and abide-by all policies and procedures as set forth by the association
- Work a schedule that reflects the needs of the branch; including evenings and weekends
- Responsible for accurately assessing blood pressure and other biometric measures for participants and be able to determine when participants need medical clearance to participate in exercise.
- Responsible for administering My Fit Smart Start, My Fit Healthy Eating and My Fit Personal Training Appointments under the guidelines, philosophy and standards set forth by the Greater Wichita YMCA.
- Responsible for following basic principles of strength and conditioning, consistently complying with guidelines set by the YMCA and ACSM.
- Responsible for giving and documenting a free program demo to a member when a My FIT appointment is a no-show/cancellation or clocking-out until another appointment is held.
- Responsible for refraining from writing diets, prescribing supplements or diagnosing/curing any type of injury or illness; always referring members to a doctor when needed health or well-being is questioned.
- Remaining alert to the condition of equipment, performing regular equipment safety checks and promptly reporting any concerns to Fitness Director.
- Executing emergency action plan procedures.
- Responsible for refraining from spending time at the fitness desk, unless taking a few minutes to check emails or return calls.
- Enforcing wellness center guidelines and policies.
- Seeking to learn members’ names and develop meaningful relationships.
- Arriving no less than five (5) minutes before start of shift and being prepared for My FIT appointments.
- Always being in dress code (tucked in red shirt, black pants or shorts, clean tennis shoes, name tag).
- Before any expected absences, finding a substitute to cover your appointments, while communicating all subs and days gone to both members (clients) and your supervisor both verbally and in writing.
- Limiting personal conversations between personal trainers when on fitness floor or while on duty.
- Refraining from cell phone usage while on the fitness floor (zero tolerance).
- Always carrying a clip board and having workout plans ready for appointments.
- Attending all required trainings, and strive to attend all supplemental and optional trainings offered by the Greater Wichita YMCA.
- Maintaining all certifications (YUSA, ACSM, CPR/AED/O2/First Aid) by attending required CEC sessions and/or recertification sessions.
- Staying current with trends in the field and exercise industry.
- Participating in Strong Community Campaign fundraising efforts.
- All other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: Ensuring a positive, safe and enjoyable exercise environment for all members (new, returning and existing) by being part of a team whose goal is to ensure a safe and enjoyable exercise experience for all YMCA members and program participants.