Floor rate paid during non-training hours, and commission base for training.Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist.
OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-generated values – Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The position of fitness personal trainer is responsible for providing a safe and effective exercise environment for patrons of The Apex Centre and patrons through supervision of exercise programs, education in exercise and a focus on establishing a personalized program of exercise for each individual.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide supervision of the exercise and fitness areas of The Apex Center, including assisting patrons and guests with their exercise and fitness program.
- Evaluate participant's fitness needs and provide the appropriate exercise program for meeting those needs, including providing personal instruction if necessary.
- Meet monthly revenue goals as set by Fitness Supervisor to ensure the financial success of The Apex Centre.
- Connect members to other members through ongoing contact and promotion of The Apex Centre activities.
- Conduct Fitness Assessments in accordance with The Apex Centre standards.
- Provide exercise floor supervision, including greeting members by name, exceeding their expectations with service, saying good bye and inviting them back again the next day. Make it a point to visit with each individual while they are working out in the fitness area to ensure a safe and comfortable fitness environment.
- Create personalized exercise/fitness programs for members who have purchased personal training sessions, including providing personal coaching and education.
- Ensure that all exercise areas and equipment are in safe and effective working condition, including cleanliness, maintained to The Apex Centre standards.
- Conduct oneself at all times in a manner of professionalism that aligns with the values, philosophies and standards of The Apex Centre. This includes wearing The Apex Centre approved uniform.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings.
- Adhere to all of the various written mandatory standards of operation, policies, procedures, manuals, memos, oral instructions, etc.
- Arrive to work on time, every day as scheduled.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to design and execute individual exercise fitness programs, tailored to the needs and attainable goals of the individual, in a safe and effective way
- Knowledge of basic kinesiology, anatomy, and biomechanics
- Knowledge of basic nutrition and weight management practices and philosophies
- Skill in using communication techniques (active listening, empathy, open-ended questions, feedback) to build effective change relationships
- Skill to organize training schedules and manage personal time
- Ability to motivate others through sound instruction and advice
Bachelor's degree in health, fitness, or recreation-related field, or 3 years of personal training experience. Minimum one year's experience in the fitness or exercise industry.
Must have CPR certification
Must have a Personal Training Certification, preferably from one of the following national organizations: American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), American Council on Exercise (ACE), National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass a drug screen and background check
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License
- No visible tattoos or unnatural hair color
- No piercings to be worn visible during shift
Regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Must be able to speak and hear. Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. (This amount could be more if performing personal training, and the person would be required to ask for assistance if needed)
The indoor environment provides for a safe and healthy work environment and is smoke and drug free. Occasionally, it may be wet and humid, as well as moderately loud. The outdoor work environment may result in exposure to extreme weather conditions such as heat, cold and humidity.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.