GENERAL FUNCTION: Under the supervision and direction of the Vice President of Membership & Wellness, the Metro Fitness Support Director is responsible for providing and implementing strategic leadership and innovative programming for all fitness staff working in fitness. A 50 hour work week will be necessary to accomplish the assigned duties.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in a Health/Fitness related field
2. Departmental experience & Personal Trainer certifications
3. Supervisory experience
1. Must be able to routinely perform the following physical activities; climb stairs, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit, stand for extended periods of time, walk, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, have finger dexterity, grasp, perform repetitive motions, talk, hear and have visual acuity to perform detailed tasks
2. Must have ability to communicate effectively; both orally and in writing
3. Must possess problem solving, organizational and task management skills; ability to make independent and sound decisions in a rapidly changing environment
4. Must be detail oriented and exhibit a high degree of accuracy and alertness
5. Must demonstrate initiative in absence of supervision
6. Must be able to relate to and work with diverse groups of people in a friendly and consistent manner
7. Must work collaboratively as a team member as well as independently and lead by assigned goals, duties and deadlines
8. Must possess ability to exercise high levels of discretion and confidentiality
9. Must present a neat and professional appearance at all times
1. Commitment to the YMCA mission, vision and values
2. Must attend New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire
3. Complete CPR/AED, First Aid, O2, Listen First Workshop, Fitness Modules, 4 Week Personal Training , YUSA Online Trainings, Foundations of Strength & Conditioning (of acceptable certification) or ASCM in accordance with Conditions of Employment
4. Possess a clear and complete understanding of exercise science principles, and the ability to apply those principles in a practical wellness atmosphere
5. Learn all emergency procedures and action plans for the branch
6. Understand and abide-by all policies and procedures as set forth by the association
7. Work a schedule that reflects the needs of the branch; including evenings and weekends
1. Working with Association’s Training Program in developing, scheduling and implementing fitness staff development courses and classes so employees maintain required certifications and CECs.
2. Ensuring all Association personnel policies and procedures are adhered to within all wellness areas.
3. Assisting Directors/Coordinators in completing performance evaluations of fitness staff.
4. Assisting in recruiting new fitness staff for the Association.
5. Providing feedback and input for a successful hiring process for fitness staff.
6. Assisting in reviewing and evaluating staff performance.
7. Providing progressive customer service and sales training to all fitness staff.
8. Maintaining staff retention through positive reinforcement and support.
1. Providing written vision for fitness annually that will guide a strategic implementation of programs and policies.
2. Developing and implementing innovative programs that provide member engagement and participation growth in all fitness areas – personal training and fitness floor.
3. Reviewing and providing suggestions for efficiencies in fitness staff schedules for branches.
4. Developing a systematic approach and an implementation process to auditing fitness programs.
5. Working with all fitness staff and Branch Directors to ensure new initiatives and programs are supported and executed for success.
1. Accountable for the Metro fitness budget development, monthly budget monitoring, and achievement of budget.
2. Implementing strategies to grow fitness program participation and revenue.
3. Continually looking for ways to incorporate more efficient operating practices.
4. Maintaining and being thoroughly knowledgeable with systems of financial control including revenues, expenses and inventories as outlined in the Operational Manual.
1. Demonstrating four character values: caring, respect, honesty and responsibility.
2. Association fitness goals and strategies are adhered to and effectively communicated on a regular basis to staff and Branch Directors.
3. Maintaining complete familiarity with all wellness related risk management procedures and policies.
4. Promoting and supporting the Strong Community Campaign.
5. Adhering to all systems and procedures as outlined in the Association’s operational manual.
6. Participating in association-wide projects when needed.
7. All other duties as assigned.
EFFECT ON END RESULT: Provide leadership and guidance to all fitness staff at facility branches to increase member retention, growth in participation and revenue, and ensure high quality programming and instruction. In turn, member satisfaction will increase as seen through the net promoter scores, and the Wichita YMCA seen as the community leader in wellness.